- Canada is not obliged by its alliances/Canada owes France nada (despite my writing that France's moves into a more dangerous spot in Afghanistan allowed US to reinforce Canadians in Kandahar;
- It is all about the oil companies (suitable for all occasions);
- I am just out to cause mischief;
- While I am mildly critical of Stephen Harper in the piece, it gives folks with an anti-Harper view an axe to grind.
- I need to put my money where my mouth is and join the Canadian Forces--because only those who serve have authority to speak?
People will want to accuse me of being a fan of Harper, whereas this piece indicates that I think the policy is ok but I don't like how Harper handled it. I am not anti-military (which offends people), I am critical of the Canadian Forces and the Department of National Defence (which bothers other folks) but perhaps not sufficiently so at times. The fact that I am neither forcefully pro or anti makes it easier, I suppose, for people to make me their strawman. Which is fine. After all, the only utilities I really want to maximize are being read and getting cited.