Ok, let's enumerate:
- Just because you learned something does not mean it belongs in the work (article/chapter/dissertation/book). So important for those who supervise/grade/edit.
- Be kind to staff. Really.
- Read good stuff for style as well as content to improve one's writing. Of course, this logically then implies the next rule.
- Don't Read Robert Kaplan (the collorary is try to avoid citing Sam Huntington's work written after 1990).
- Don't pad your CV. This actually fits into the larger category of: don't do crap that you think makes yourself look good that doesn't. Like playing with the margins, font sizes, etc.