Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Austin Guide, Part Dos



Last week, I asked an Austin-based grad student, Hans-Inge Langø, to provide restaurant tips for me and for my fellow ISAC-ISSS travelers.  Today, I asked Laura Seay, infamously known as @texasinafrica and twitterfightclub champion 2013 (she defeated me in the finals), what one should if one were to happen to have free time in Austin.  She tweeted the following suggestions to me:

  • If you're up for museums, the Bullock Texas State History Museum is wonderful & may give you a better appreciation for non-Lubbock Texas.
  • At UT, the Blanton art museum is great, and the Ransom Center runs fantastic exhibits on modern pop culture.
  • If you can swing it, going to the top of the UT tower offers an incredible view & history lesson: http://www.utexas.edu/universityunions/texas-union/scene/tower-tours
  • The Whole Foods flagship at 6th and Lamar. It sounds crazy, but it's a destination. You'll just have to trust me on that.
  • The Texas Capitol is also fascinating, even for the haters. I always take visitors there. Full Texasness on display.
  • A movie at the Alamo, hands down the best movie house chain in the USA.
  • Outdoorsy, the Hike & Bike trail around the lake is always busy, and you can find a pick-up game of Ultimate in Zilker Park. 
  • Barton Creek Greenbelt is fun for a hike.
The big question is whether I can grab enough time to do any of this.  Looking forward to seeing my fellow Security scholars in a few days!

No comments: