Sunday, June 23, 2019

Barcelona is Underrated!

I have heard folks complain that Barcelona is overrun by tourists, but I think that is a scam--that these people want to keep Barcelona to themselves.  Ok, maybe not as the place is overrun by tourists (mostly bachelorette parties, it seems), but it is not too problematic as there is plenty of great Barcelona-ness to go around. The old joke about Paris has a different, less funny punchline here--why do the French have trees on the sides of their roads? So the Germans can march in the shade.  Here, in Barcelona, they do it because it is very sunny and warm.  Makes it hard to take shots of lots of the funky buildings since there are trees in the way, but a good problem to have.


Today, I got up later than planned and then jumped to it.  The train system was easy to figure out although I was confused since everyone seemed to be headed in the opposite direction.  I decided to see the funky architecture on the main street for that kind of thing and was suitably impressed.  I, of course, was drawn to a place for lunch with cerveseria in its name--I suck at languages, but I can recognize beer.  As a single, I got placed at the bar, which I tend not to prefer as I would rather have my feet on the ground.  But I got to watch the bartender make tapas for folks, and he was quite an artist. 

After that, I walked all over the Rambla area and the Gothic Part.  This meant cathedral, old Roman building, and mostly narrow streets with lots of stores and restaurants.  My destination was the Picasso Museum.  It traces his evolution nicely and then juxtaposes a painting he used as inspiration with the many paintings he produced as a result:




















After that, more wonderings which led to me bumping into more bachelorette parties and more beautiful Barcelona and a Chocolate museum


Time to run and see more of this great place.

No comments: