Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Semi-Sensei, Day 8: History and then Home

Since we had an evening flight, we had time to do some last minute tourism.  We toured the Edo Museum which documents the history of Tokyo and then went to the Akasaka guest palace before going to the airport.  I had been to both before, but could not see much of the latter at the time since it was closed due to visiting dignitary.

Not crowded at all.  The Edo has two sections essentially--focusing on ancient Edo and modern Tokyo. This picture of is of a kabuki theater.  I think I remember there being shows and such.  But few people around this time.






 Lots of cool displays showing what the city looked like way back when.









 The firebombing of Tokyo was not the first time the city burned.  The displays included much info and even a painting of firefighting in the past.











Something I had not noticed last time: in the Instrument of Surrender, the Canadian rep signed in the wrong place, leading to all of the subsequent signers going one spot below where they should have signed.  I was told on twitter that the Colonel who signed was missing an eye thanks to a wound in World War I.  I was most surprised that Canada sent a colonel to do the signing, but folks argued that Canada didn't want to send a higher ranking figure for fear of being asked to do more in the theater.




The display of the firebombing of Tokyo over several missions. Each spot would light up--this picture is after all of the missions.  Just appalling.















Akasaka Palace used to be for the emperor but is now for visiting dignitaries.  I had two reactions--wow, it looks far more like France on the inside and outside than like Japan, and, well, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.  Inside, there were pictures of a variety of visitors with Trump featured in more than anyone else. 








These kind of trip really lives and dies due to the folks one is with along the way.  The students from U of T, Ottawa, and Carleton were fun, interesting, smart, adaptable, and engaging.  I had a blast hanging with them.  I really enjoyed seeing Tokyo, Sendai, and Tome through their eyes.

I didn't have to do much chaperoning.  My contributions, besides the forced march to wonderful French Toast, were filling ten minutes at the embassy, making sure Air Canada let the group on to the plane in Toronto as we were late arriving from Tokyo, and recommending that we take this picture in this spot after checking in at Haneda on the way back.  And the women in front--Yuki and Miyuki--were fantastic guides that made the trip work so very well.  I am very, very lucky, and quite grateful.  I don't know how I will slake my addiction to Japan in the future, but I am sure I will.

No comments: