- Leaving middle age for whatever the next thing is: late middle age?

- Time to start getting discounts. My girlfriend and I went to a move while on the Saideman family vacation last week (Portland and the Oregon shore were terrific), and we received, unprompted, senior discounts for The Odyssey. And, to be sure, that was entirely due to my appearance as she is not only five years or so younger, but has nary a gray hair (It seems like it was only a few years ago, younger conference goers were making bets about whether my entirely black hair at the time was real given my entirely white beard).
- The halfway point--not that I will make it to 120--but that I have been a father for exactly half of my life. Glad I got to spend time with my daughter last week.
- I am four years past ultimate frisbee, and I still haven't found a suitable replacement. The recent vacation taught me that my elbow is not a barrier to kayaking, like I thought. So, that plus yoga/pilates may be in my future.
- Tis the second birthday post-separation and first since it was finalized with me living on my own for the last four months.
- Retirement is now six years ago--close enough to occupy my thinking, far enough way that I have still much left to do as a professor.
- I long ago was considered a senior scholar, but now I am a very senior scholar. All of my mentors have retired as have a few friends.
- I survived my fifties although a few friends did not.
The last point might suggest that I am morose or sad. While I feel bad about these losses, I do not think I have been happier. I still love my job as it continues to evolve--learning to teach US foreign policy when the government is autocratic, teaching larger seminars due to budget cuts, shifting research topics a bit less dramatically as I am now firmly ensconced for the duration in civil-military relations, shifting from the CDSN to the CMRN as our second partnership grant is far more comparative and international and more focused on civil-military relations. I made radical changes to my personal life because I wanted to be happier, and I was successful. My girlfriend has just been fantastic and even survived a week with a heap of Saidemans quite well.
The world, of course, sucks mightily with Trump and populists and autocrats dominating our attention and making horrific public policy. I remain a doomer at this time--I don't think a Dem sweep of the midterms (I will not jinx with a prediction)--will change as much as people hope. But compartmentalization is a thing that we have gotten good at, so I will focus today on baking: a second cake as I made the rum cake last night and a heap of pitas. The BBQ is, well, rained out, but I will see how well my home can host a significant sized gathering.
I have to get back to party prep. Time to cry (cutting onions).



No comments:
Post a Comment