![]() |
| The lighting always sucks in this part of DND, but this is only place we can do this. |
Almost since the start, a day at Canada's defence headquarters has been on the agenda. It started with a couple of talks and now has grown to a full day of briefings and roundtables. I am as amazed every year with us getting high-level speakers as our participants are amazed at the quality of my cookies. In most years, we get a chance to speak with the Deputy Minister of Defence, who as a general rule does not do that much public speaking (DM's across the government tend to not speak up that much, which in this realm, puts them at a disadvantage vis-a-vis the Chief of Defence Staff). I hadn't met Christiane Fox, so it was great to meet her and get her perspective. We also met folks from the three elements/environments (what Americans call services), getting a good idea of how the Navy, Army, and Air Force folks are thinking about this moment--about the threats facing Canada, about the injection of money as Mark Carney has pushed far more spending towards defence, and, yes, the Trumpness of it all.
I kept asking the same question because I have a book chapter I need to write--what can the Canadian Armed Forces do without any American assistance. And the answers, as one of the participants pointed out, illustrated a civ-mil divide that Phil Lagassé pointed out a while back: the military sees the moment as rhetoric and wants to continue business as usual and the civilians are identifying a fundamental break and want to operative differently. Oh my. Good for the chapter, bad for Canadian civil-military relations.
I must run off to our fourth day of the Institute, where one of our panels is, indeed, on civ-mil.

No comments:
Post a Comment