Friday, July 31, 2009

Theme of the Week: Beer!

So, my family now thinks of me as the beer expert, which is pretty sad. But since I have even less knowledge about wine, about which everybody but me seems to know a great deal, everything is relative among the relatives. The recent vacations have included brew pubs where everybody steals my samples (I tend to get the 5-6 shots/mini-glasses of samples rather than one big glass), but I think my expertise lies less in the qualities of various beers, and more in TV and movies. So, here is one list of five "beer summits" in the movies.

Notable omissions? Well, one need a few hands to count the notable beer swilling scenes in M*A*S*H (the TV show), in addition to the many martini scenes.
Cheers, of course, was a show about beer summits, and a mighty fine one. Again, an obvious choice.
Most "trash movies" have beer as a key component--Animal House, Meatballs (I seem to remember a key scene or two with beer), and so forth.

Any suggestions?

No comments: