Saturday, June 8, 2013

Fun with Maps: US/Canadian Borders edition

A friend put this on his FB page and I found it so instructive I am putting it here:


The joy of non-straight lines.  I didn't know that there was a no-touching zone between the US and Canada.  Ah, the joy of google earth and all that.  Once again, we are reminded that path dependence uber alles!  I probably should have posted this next month in between Canada Day and Independence Day, but I have a short memory.

Speaking of short memories, I noticed in today's paper a guide to real estate that included a particular township just west of Kingston (where I will be next week for the Kingston Conference on International Security): named Loyalist.  Yep, Loyalist as in those who preferred the King to the Revolution and fled north.  Looking forward to the conference but not to meeting any Loyalists.


No comments: