Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Today in Twitter: Media Impatience and Civ-Mil Relations

Tis early, but I am already engaged on two fronts on twitter.

First, I am pretty annoyed by the media, who seem to think that bombing is a miracle cure that should have led to reversals in ISIS's fortunes.  So, I have been tweeting stuff like this:


Second, I read a really good piece by Peter Feaver on whether generals should resign in protest. I culled a few key quotes

and then my response to the classic quote by Clemenceau:

I guess my timing is good--I submitted yesterday a grant application to study the role of legislatures in the civil-military relations of 21st century democracies.  Now back to an earlier book project that is getting a second life thanks to Putin's irredentism.  

2 comments:

milnews.ca said...

And let's not forget how all those airstrikes finally made Libya into a kinder, gentler place in the long run, right?

Steve Saideman said...

Air strikes are good for breaking stuff, not building. Our aim in Iraq is not to build an Iraqi govt but to break ISIS. We will need help, but this is something we have done before.