Sunday, September 8, 2024

APSA-ing as a Senior Scholar

Philly convention center
 If I had any doubts about my status as a "senior scholar," they were dispelled this week.  I was at the American Political Science Association meeting, and a grad student came up to me and said he was "professor x's last student."  The professor x in this case is not a telepathic leader of a school for mutants, but just a sharp woman whose stuff I read long ago, who I viewed as one of the group of hotshots that were one generation ahead of me.   Yep, she's retiring.  So, it is not just the folks who were senior scholars long ago, but everybody between me and them (well, except those folks who never retire).  

So, yeah, more conversations this time about when my friends plan to retire, when I plan, and all that.  Our jobs are pretty sweet compared to those elsewhere, so many folks do like to hang on for a while.  I will not be one of those, as I have already determined to step down after 20 years at Carleton, which means eight more years.  I might attend conferences to see friends and to keep learning, to keep engaging my curiosity, which is why I got in this business in the first place.  But I won't be teaching (mainly, I won't be grading), I won't be reviewing manuscripts for journals and presses, and I won't be submitting myself to the whims of reviewers.

Anyhow, over the past fifteen years (yes, the Semi-Spew is that old), I have gotten in the habit of posting my reactions to various conferences (including the APSA in Philly eight years ago).  This APSA as the first normal once since Covid.  Last year's post-covid (as if covid is gone, nope) APSA conference was a shell of itself as a hotel strike deterred many folks from attending.  

However, it was not so normal for me as it was my first real trip to Philly since my mother passed away last May.  I am so familiar with this part of the city as my mother lived near by, and we almost always stayed at this hotel next to the convention center and the Reading Terminal Market.  So, I knew where to go for great bagels, excellent french toast, cheesesteaks, and all the rest.  And I did spend some time at my mom's place, as I went through stuff with my eldest sibling--what jewelry made sense for my wife and such.  Oh, I hosted the regular APSA poker game at my mom's apartment since it had an excellent table and we were unlikely to attract hotel security.

The conference itself was the usual mix of panels and meetings.  Bluesky has replaced twitter as my way of meeting new people--an excellent ice breaker.  So, I had many coffees and a few beers with both old friends and new acquaintances and learned what they were up to.  I had a few meetings that were part of the CDSN 2.0 grant application preparation.  JC Boucher and I presented a paper (co-written with Charlotte Duval-Lantoine and Lynne Gouliquer) on whether discrimination against historically excluded groups affects public attitudes towards the Canadian military.  Yes, it does and people care more about discrimination against some groups than others.  We got some good feedback and learned much from the other panelists and their cool projects.  I went to a couple of other panels to learn what folks are doing in civ-mil these days and to learn more about the Ukraine war as I have an appointment in two weeks to testify before the House of Commons Standing Committee on National Defence.

Carrie and Max at the civ-mil table
I organized a civ-mil hangout at a bar near the convention center, and it went very well.  The civ-mil community is full of sharp, fun, sweet people, so it is always great to get together. As the old guy at the table and as the old guy on the panels, I appreciate so much how great it is to hang out with younger, livelier, more creative folks.  As I indicated above, I might crash post-retirement APSA's and ISA's as I get energized every time I go.  
Dani and Alexandra at the civ-mil hangout

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A big highlight was a reception at a local Irish bar celebrating three UCSD profs getting lifetime achievement awards.  I got to see some friends from long ago as well as meet some of the folks who went through the place after me.  I am so grateful for lucking into that place--it was and is a terrific community of sharp, sweet, generous, silly people.

Fun sign at the last place I had dinner




City hall is pretty at night

Interesting mural on the way to a steak place

A very good steak sandwich, just wished
they had pizza sauce.

Great way to finish up APSA is dining with JC and Sara

Fried oreos were amazing!


No comments: