Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Good Markets, Bad Parents?

Now folks are marketing sports training programs for babies and toddlers.  I blame the kids for being hyper-competitive. "But now children are being groomed as athletes before they can walk."

Sure, forget "play" and focus on developing competitive skill sets.  No harm in that, right? 
Dr. Micheli said he did not see any great advantages in exposing babies to sports. “I don’t know of any evidence that training at this infancy stage accelerates coordination,” he said.
One of his concerns, he said, is “the potential for even younger ages of overuse injury.”
I knew I should put a frisbee in Spew Jr.'s crib.  What was I thinking?  That there is a market for such crap shows that perhaps the various comedians were right: we need to license parents.  If folks think this is a good idea, perhaps they ought not to parent without supervision.  

No comments: