Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Kettle, Pot, You Know

Well, I teased my students about Last Minute Heroics yesterday since they were forming last minute study groups, so I should let them know that profs can be just as bad about last minute organizing.  I have received a few emails today asking about my willingness to join panels for next year's American Political Science Association meeting.*  What can you infer from this sudden mini-deluge?  That the deadline is tomorrow.  Students are not the only folks who procrastinate.

Indeed, profs are really just ex-students or just older students.  Lots of their habits are ours, too.  Last minute planning is certainly one of them.  Indeed, one of the primary reasons we have conferences and workshops is to force us to get work done via the creation of artificial deadlines.  Of course, I can be smug since I put together my panel a long time ago (last week).






*  This meeting might be getting more play, if you will, because it got moved from the standard San Francisco location (once every four years or so) due to a hotel strike/labor dispute to Seattle, where it has not been in recent memory (at least in my entire career).

No comments: