Tuesday, May 4, 2010

More on Conspiracy Theory

I got pretty riled up yesterday during my interview about the 9/11 liars who were appearing at a local university.  And then the guy installing my new HD satellite dish and video recorder (oh, the video now pops with color)* asked me about the interview since it took place while he was doing his work.  He apparently believed in the conspiracy theories, but not wholeheartedly.  When I raised the issue of why would an American president kill thousands of American civilians, he brought up the issue of money.

I have not and will not read the conspiracy theories as I have plenty of real work to do, but I am puzzled by this notion of a profit motive.  Are they suggesting that 9/11 happened because Bush/Cheney/whoever had stocks that they were short-selling? Because expanding military spending would enrich them?  Because the war in Iraq was for oil?  I am not sure how that connection works, but I suggested something that is often overlooked: that anyone who kills thousands of Americans is likely to face a death sentence if caught.  So why would rich folks who can enrich themselves in a number of ways seek the one way that could lead to their own deaths?  Where is the logic in that?  The satellite guy was not a committed believer to conspiracy theory, so he found some merit in what I had to say.  But there is a strong undercurrent of folks up here in Quebec who, because of their suspicions about the Bush Administration or perhaps any American leader, buy into this conspiracy crap. 

The folks speaking last night apparently were picking on the details of the collapse of one of the other buildings that was part of the World Trade Tower complex.  So, the claim, I think, is that US allowed the attack to occur and then exaggerated its effects.  Huh?  I guess that is like those folks who say that FDR allowed the Japanese to attack Pearl Harbor but moved the carriers out because he somehow understood the future of naval warfare better than the Navy.  Not sure why a US conspiracy would have to blow up additional buildings or even attack the Pentagon.  The Towers were sufficient for angering the American people (most people do not even think of the Pentagon attacks that much).  But there I go, applying logic.  Sorry. 

It is sad that so many people I have encountered in Quebec fall for this crap.  Not a majority but not a handful either.  People are willing to give 9/11 deniers some credence.  But then again, what percentage of Americans still doubt that Obama was born in Kenya Hawaii?




* I am kind of surprised that Canada does not require people to get HDTV since hockey looks fantastic with it.

1 comment:

Steve Greene said...

You just now got HD??!! I love HD and cannot imagine life without it now. Not as great an invention as the DVR, but pretty damn good. And, yes, hockey does look especially brilliant in HD. And tonight, you can enjoy Jack, Sawyer, Kate, et al., in HD.