Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Death of Heroes?

People know look back and wonder if the first season of Heroes was that good.  I think it was.  But the show has now been canceled.  It is too bad that they could not figure out how to finish the first season,  as the first finale bore the seeds of the failed seasons to come.  Big build up and then let down.  I kept watching and saw glimmers of fun, but it made a lot of mistakes along the way.  Characters acted either stupidly or counter to their natures.  They could never put away a villain.  Hey, if Sylar is your best character, you still have to kill him and then move on.  It was an endless frustrating show, and I finally gave up midway through this season. I was a reluctant watcher of Smallville this season as the whole Zod plotline became extremely annoying.  They deux ex machined the ending so we don't have to worry about him anymore.  But the show should have been ended this year or last.

Does this spell the end of watching superheroes on TV?  Um, no.  The new season will have several superhero shows vying for the geek audience, including:
  • The Cape, "a one-hour drama series starring David Lyons (ER) as Vince Faraday, an honest cop on a corrupt police force, who finds himself framed for a series of murders and presumed dead."
  • No Ordinary Family, about "a family with superhero powers. Michael Chiklis (The Shield) stars as the patriarch. It also features Julie Benz (Dexter) as his wife, a scientist with super speed." She could have used that super-power in her last show.  
There may be another or two as well.  Plus AMC is doing Walking Dead, based a zombie-themed comic book.  So, plenty of fun stuff awaits.  I just hope they can finish a season and then move the story down the road in subsequent seasons, unlike Heroes.  Oh, and yes, for the required Lost reference, they sure knew how to end a season: the hatch, raft blowing up, the flashforwards, Jacob and the Man in Black, etc.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I watched the first season and liked it. I forget why I stopped watching after that (probably something conflicted and I couldn't deal with too much crap on my DVR at that time).

I had never heard of Walking Dead til Doc posted that he'd be writing about that next so you bet yer arse I'll at least check it out. AMC hasn't disappointed yet!

And yes, I agree, Lost knows how to end a season! Let's just hope they know how to end a series ...