Saturday, September 12, 2009

Author Recommendation: Chris Moore--More Foolish than Full?

I just started reading Christopher Moore's Fool, which takes King Lear from the perspective of the Fool. Moore has a knack for writing incredibly humorous novels that are "sick in the best sense of the word" as Carl Hiaassen has noted. My current favorite is Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. But Fool may surpass that one, as Fool is wonderfully profane. Sure, no Zombies or Vampires here (at least, not yet), but Ghosts aplenty--that interact with the Fool rather than just utter their rhymes and take off.

And the timing is great (we had the book tied to another order at Amazon--the first year of Wiseguys DVD for about $10!!!) since I could use the humor as I suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Yes, I am mixing my Shakespeare, but I do not have any handy Lear quotes to use .... yet.

No comments: