How else has that year affected me?
- I use the word "sir" far more often than I used to do so. Of course, using it once a year would be far more often.
- I will occasionally complement a student or my daughter by saying "very professional!"
- I have a knee jerk response whenever anyone refers to the US Dept. of Defense or the Pentagon when they really mean the Secretary of Defense. This is less severe with Gates than it was when Rumsfeld was still screwing everything up.
- I still occasionally say "we" when referring to US military guys.
- And, of course, my current research agenda on NATO and civil-military relations directly flows from some of the things I saw and experienced during that year.