Thursday, December 17, 2009

Aughts Update: I Am a Bad Movie Fan

Slate has an "Aught-omatic" guide to the best movies of the Aughts.  It puts together a bunch of lists to generate its own list.  And my first reaction is that I have not seen as many movies as I have thought and especially not highly rated ones.

These movies fit into three categories:
  • Movies that do not interest me: There Will Be Blood; City of God; The New World; Amelie; Dogville;The Lives of Others; Gosford Park;
  • Movies that do interest me but have not motivated me enough to see: Mulholland Drive, Before Sunset (need to see Before Sunrise first); Zodiac; Pany's Labyrinth; Capturing the Friedmans
  • Who?  What?:  4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days; In the Mood for Love, Grizzly Man; Spirited Away; Yi Yi; Moolaade
Other movies on their list (but not mine): Royal Tennebaums (fun, but best of the decade?); Lost in Translation, Slumdog Millionaire; Children of Men (perhaps I should have put it on my list); Up (not my favorite Pixar flick); United 93 (an almost on mine); Knocked Up (close call), and so on.

2 comments:

Steve Greene said...

Not interested? Lives of Others was simply brilliant. You've got to see it. I realize There will be blood is not to everyone's tastes, but I loved it. Also, you've got to see Grizzly Man!

Ewan Compton said...

I agree with the other commenter, "Lives Of Others" is brilliant. In my opinion, so is "City of God", "Amelie", "Gosford Park" and especially "There Will Be Blood" (my vote for best of the decade). On the other hand, "Mulholland Drive" wasn't particularly good.