Thursday, July 1, 2010

I'm Making This Up As I Go Along

As I was seeking just a bit of TV after bringing my newly fixed computer home, my favorite movie of all time was on TV: Raiders of the Lost Ark.  The movie was just at the start of one of the best sequences in movie-dom: from when Indiana Jones enters the map room to Marion's attempt to escape via her ability to win a booze contest to the opening of the Well of Souls with "Asps, very dangerous ... you go first" to the fight on and around the plane to the chase in the desert on, in, below and behind the truck carrying the ark.  This sequence has heaps of humor ("I am making it up as I go along" and "Snakes, why did it have to be snakes"), pretty thrilling action that called back to the Western stagecoach era, and even some conflicted romance with Indiana Jones and his best partner (as recognized by the lamentable fourth movie) Marion.

I dare my readers to come up with another 10-15 minute sequence in a movie this chock full of good stuff.

1 comment:

Steve Greene said...

Maybe a 10-15 minutes somewhere in Star Wars, but I'd have to agree. I'm not sure I have a single favorite movie, but this is certainly tied for favorite.