Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Upside of Malware

I somehow found a link that took me to a site that promised free e-versions of one of my books.  I alerted Columbia U Press, and the folks there told me not to worry.  The place was actually a phishing/malware trap--no actual book to be stolen. 

So, woot?  Folks seeking to get my publications without paying will end up falling into a trap.  Hmmmm. 

As it turns out, Columbia UP has been using a relatively new system and found 32 instances of actual infringements.  Of these, 25 for my first book were removed once Columbia UP contacted the sites.  The "non-responsive" sites for my first book were in Switzerland, Russia and Panama.  The four infringements of For Kin or Country were from one site in China, and they were all removed. 

What to read in these patterns?  That Swiss, Russian, and Panamanian thieves like to peddle books on the IR of secession and don't quit when caught?  That Chinese folks are interested in infringing on irredentism stuff, but are more responsive when caught? 

I don't know how to make sense of this, but found it interesting. 

No comments: