- Trump is, of course, the candidate of white supremacists, who tend to be very, very anti-semitic. Many online critics of Trump have faced significant abuse from the Trump fans who do not hesitate to make the most Jew-hating, holocaust-denying or holocaust-celebrating remarks. Trump's staff is, alas, chock full of these people, even before Steve Bannon of Breitbart came on board.
- Trump's vows to support Israel are just as reliable as every other promise he has made. Yes, politicians do lie sometimes and break promises, but no candidate has threatened to break pretty much every promise he has made like Trump has. Trump is about as untrustworthy as one can imagine.
- Trump's promises (whatever they are worth) to ban Muslims and all the rest are likely to feed Islamist extremism, which is not good for Israel. Alienating all Muslims is just a dumb move, one that Trump would very much likely make.
- Trump would be bad for the world economy, which would then hurt Israel. His threats to default on the debt, the promises to get out of most major trade agreements, and on and on would create more than a bit of uncertainty and most likely cause a recession (if not worse). The United States, given its role in the international economy, tends to share its economic generously, so not good for a smaller country.
- Oh, and to underline the first point, a key point of NEVER AGAIN is not just aimed at preventing genocide of the Jews, but opposing movements that aim to threaten minorities in general. Supporting Trump now would be a betrayal of NEVER AGAIN.
Wednesday, August 24, 2016
Trump and Israel
Last month, I spoke at a synagogue about Trump and the US elections. I feel pretty good about what I said, as much of what I highlighted has become even more apparent--that the fundamentals favor HRC, that Trump is a lousy candidate and on and on. I did regret how I answered the last question, which was about Israel. Folks fear the Democrats these days because there are pro-Palestinian types in the party. Sure, but what I should have said more clearly is what a disaster Trump would be for Israel. How so?