And not just the funds for which we are thankful. The partnership grant process required us to do a great deal of networking and leveraging. That each partner has to not just specify what it wants out of the partnership, but what it wants to put into it. Indeed, the process requires partners to give at least 35% in cash on in kind to match the SSHRC funding. Our partners went way beyond that.
While the Carleton publicity gave me heaps of credit, I need to make clear this was very, very much a team effort. The folks who are now CDSN co-directors helped write heaps of draft documents (the application has more than 20 pieces), gave comments on drafts, met in August to discuss the Stage 2 application (it is a three stage process, with us making it past stage 1 the second time we tried), and helped bring along more than 30 partners. Our partners had to grapple with the SSHRC website and with their own legal people to get a Memorandum of Understanding signed, so I will be forever grateful for them. Our roughly 100 participants also had to do some SSHRC webwork, so I am thankful to them. I had multiple RAs work on this project with us, doing much of the tracking and grunge work, so thanks! The folks at Carleton, especially Kyla Reid, our grants facilitator, who knows this process and has brought several teams to success over the past few years, will be owed beers for a long time. Our Dean, Andre Plourde, not only provided support and enthusiasm, but also served as a mock interviewer for the third stage of the process--a 20 minute interview. Which reminds me that I owe Stéfanie von Hlatky and Caroline Leprince for kicking butt in the interview. Twas a strange process, and they came through big-time. Our VP for Research and his staff were also very helpful.
Now what? Well, since we got the notice in late April:
- We had a meeting in Ottawa to develop the rules and procedures so that we operate well;
- I have started distributing some of the money to the leaders of the five research themes;
- I hired two great staffers in Jeffrey Rice, our project coordinator, and Melissa Jennings, our knowledge mobilization coordinator or comms person, and kept on Alvine Nintai, our excellent research assistant.
- Melissa built a webpage and staffed the twitter account and email address, and we now have a banner and stickers for the podcast!
- Stef and I started a podcast, Battle Rhythm, with two episodes out and one to be taped and dropped next week.
- The Co-Directors have started planning their first workshops. Each of the five theme teams will be holding annual workshops to build focused research agendas.
- We supported the Kingston Conference on International Security and the annual workshop of Women in International Security-Canada.
- We (and by we, I mean Jeff) applied for several DND project grants to fund some of our efforts.
- I went to Europe to network with the European Research Group on Military and Society and the European Initiative for Security Studies to see if they want to join our network.
- We have added one new partner and are working to bring along a few others who have indicated interest.
- We just transitioned to a new Defence Fellow--a Canadian Forces officer who becomes part of the CDSN HQ team.
We believed very strongly in this endeavor, that it will provide many collective goods to help the Canadian Defence and Security community, so we are most pleased by what we have accomplished thus far, and, finally, we can thank SSHRC for funding this effort.