So, what did I learn today?
- I suddenly realized why I like Sydney so much--it combines the best of London with the best of San Diego, my favorite non-North American and North American cities respectively. Lots of great food choices, even if I was not always wise. Great beer. Beautiful locale, terrific beaches, friendly people.
- The surfers at Bondi seem better than those I remember near La Jolla, but that might just be time and distance playing tricks.
- People yelling over! or under! when waves approach is apparently global.
- The water here, even with the waves (and some were mighty big), was amazingly clear.
- I had been turned off of body-surfing after getting repeatedly pounded into the beach last summer in Delaware, but a great beach makes a huge difference. Here at Bondi, the slope is so gradual that one can body surf for quite a distance without eating sand.
- And the southern peninsula that sticks up northwards to help create the large Sydney bay is much bigger, so walking from one side to another took much longer than expected.
- Strange street sign du jour--"Refugee Island" refers to concrete in the middle of the street to ease pedestrians crossing the street, but has other potential implications.
- My feet are going to like Wellington, I think. All of my appointments are near my hotel, and I don't plan on walking all over the place.