Wednesday, August 1, 2018

You Say You Want a Revolution...

The alt-righters, white supremacists, gun nutters and all those on the far right have harshed my enjoyment of Philadelphia and its heaps of Revolutionary History.  How so?  Because these folks tend to take the symbols and words of the Revolutionaries and twist them.  I wanted to buy a postcard at the Franklin Museum of the classic divided/united snake, but I know that they use the don't tread on me stuff for their own "hey, we should be able to mess with everyone else without retribution or consequences" thing.  Likewise, the Declaration of Independence is so cool--consent of the governed and all that--but they like Jefferson's tree of liberty must be watered by the blood of tyrants.... when they are the tyrant-wannabees.

Still, I enjoyed the Museum of the Revolutionary War until we got kicked out--some kind of emergency that caused them to evacuate.  I was super-bummed because I was just getting to the part of the Revolution that was least covered in all of the classes/movies/etc: the part after the Declaration and before Yorktown. 

Here's some stuff I saw on the streets of Philly and then in the Museum (and it belongs not just in a museum, sorry, Indiana):
Love this






Of course, Ben was the one who said it
Sounds about right

True dat

Whataboutism? No,
honesty about propaganda

Propaganda!

They covered the less covered history pretty well

The Canadian Campaign!!!





No comments: