Sunday, September 29, 2019

Learning from the Band of Brothers

I just finished reading "Beyond Band of Brothers," which is the book written by Dick Winters about his take on the BoB experience and what he learned from it.  There aren't too many new stories as Winters was really the basis for both Ambrose's book and the tv series.  But there is more perspective in this, as Winters gave his take on the various events and dynamics from before he appeared at Toccoa all the way through to the reunions after the war.  I teared up on more than a few occasions as he talked about the men he led and their passing. I was most pleased to learn that Harry Welsh, one of the officers of Easy Company, taught political science after he came home--that was not mentioned in the show. 

There is much to learn from the book with its concluding chapter addressing leadership.  After the series came out, Winters got many requests to speak on leadership.  Why?  Because the show and the testimonials made it very clear that he was a hell of a leader.  Tis good timing for me to read this, as I am a significant leadership position for the first time in my career as Director of the Canadian Defence and Security Network.  It is hardly the same thing as leading Easy Company, but some of Winters' lessons are most valuable. Of the lessons, the pieces that resonate the most with me are:
  1. Develop the team.  Much of the development of the CDSN was by accident, but I did start by relying on the best people I know, and they have done so much already.
  2. Delegate responsibility.  Absolutely, as the co-directors of the CDSN know far more about their areas of expertise and of their research centres than I do.  While we at HQ have strived to develop some guideliness, I am not going to tell my teammates how they should be running their events.
  3. Anticipate problems and prepare to overcome obstacles.  Not something I am always good at, but I have been thinking through some of the likely problems and figuring out ways to dodge them.  
  4. Remain humble?  Folks don't think that I am particularly humble, but it is humbling leading this thing.  That it is something far beyond anything that I have tried to do before, that it is a pretty ambitious endeavor, that I am leading people who are probably far better able to do this than I am (that would be SVH), and that I am asking people for their time.  So, I try to make sure I don't ask for too much.  I also make sure that the credit for this stuff goes to my staff and to the team.
 There are other items on Winters's list, but I don't expect to stay in top physical shape.

Anyhow, the book is a quick read, quite reflective including taking responsibility.  I was most struck by Winters's realization that as Easy Company's commander, he always used 1st platoon, which had the best soldiers, but this had the effect of having the fewest survivors.  Likewise, when he became CO of 2nd Battalion, whenever he needed something difficult to be done, he relied on Easy Company.  Again, this had some cost.  Winters did not really express guilt or regret, but a realization that he relied on the best for a reason, and then the best paid the highest price.  Luckily, when I rely on the best folks in the CDSN, the price is far, far less costly.

Back to reading stuff that is a bit more directly related to my research.

No comments: