Sunday, April 11, 2010

Social Science From the Other Side

We were just called and asked to participate in a survey about languages in Quebec.  I agreed, as I try to support the social science effort.  However, after two questions, the survey ended because they had already reached their quota of folks whose mother tongue is English. 

Anyway, I found the list of languages interesting: Creole and Romanian?  I am less surprised by Arab, Italian, Greek and Portuguese since I have seen evidence of large communities in Montreal. And to be clear, whatever diversity there is in Quebec, nearly all of it will be in Montreal. 

The frustrating thing is that I am most curious about the rest of the survey--what were the questions?  How do you feel about the language of education (or here)?  How do you feel about access to hospital care in the language of your choice?  Do politicians use language as a distraction from their incredible incompetence and/or corruption?

Alas, I will never know.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Creole for Haitians, lots of them in Montreal/Quebec.