Saturday, March 30, 2019

International Studies Affirmation

Jonathan is one of my first PhD student. 
His work always took aim at mine.
Pete has taught me more than just
about bourbon
The 60th Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association has come to an end.  This week in Toronto a certain theme prevailed, and it had little to deal with the stuff we study--validation/recognition/affirmation.  Twas received and given. 


The Civ-Mil hangout was a great success even if, well,
some didn't discover us for a while.
I have often felt embarrassed when folks complimented me for my social media stuff, but this time, I took seriously that folks were not reminding me of some silly post but of some kind of contribution I made.  I also received thanks for mentoring and networking with younger folks including the sharp new generation of young women doing civil-military relations.  Maybe I wasn't paying attention before and maybe I was more open to what folks were saying this time, or maybe I am in a new midlife post-crisis.  Whatever it is, I was really moved and touched by these folks. 

I don't do what I do to get this validation or affirmation.  I do what I do because of what I have seen over the years, because I want to help folks, and because I want to help improve this profession.   Of course, it feels good to help people and it feels good to be thanked for it, so it is not entirely altruistic.  Indeed, I had a good time at the ISA as the various pics indicate.  And it feels far better to be part of a community than to be alone.  Twenty five years ago, I would wander around the conference looking for a familiar face.  Now,  I can't go five steps without seeing someone I know. 
Junior Scholar Symposium is a
structured effort to mentor the younger
folks and have them help each other.

Another difference compared to the past? A couple of very good friends were facing doubts about their place in the community and about their responses to various events.  I had the chance to immediately pay forward the affirmation I received this week.  These people are terrific, doing great work and serving the IR community in many ways.  I was glad I could be there for them, as others have been there for me. 


 
The Duck of Minerva is not just us dudes,
but Amanda and Charli were elsewhere
And this is one reason I resist doing conferences by computer.  Yes, it would save money and reduce CO2 emissions, but these gatherings lead to all kinds of unexpected interactions.  And many of these meetings mean a great deal.  They are often unplanned, spontaneous exchanges that can make a difference. 

I am so very grateful for those who have helped me along the way, and I am very gratified that I have been able to help others.  Academic kindness is a thing.

No comments: