Saturday, November 5, 2011

Don't Know Much About [CA] History

Sure, I was alive throughout all of the events discussed in this piece, but never paid attention to them given my narrow American view of the world.  The article presents a specific point of view of the key events in Canadian-Quebec history.  I was always confused about repatriation and the various constitutional traumas Canada went through.  Now, I understand it a bit better.  I think the piece downplays how inevitable it was that the events of November 1981 would be depicted and perceived as it has been since. 

For those needing a quick primer on some of the sources of nationalist discord since 1981, this article is not a bad starting point, even if the sovereignty folks would disagree with pretty much all of it.

No comments: