Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Latest Book Quiz: Am I A Good White Man?

This list of books all white men own is interesting, but I seem to be falling short.  What have I got on this list?

  1. Slaughterhouse-Five?  Of course, as a relative tweeted a while back: "You know you're in college when half of the class responds with gleeful gasps to the mention of Kurt Vonnegut."
  2. Some Song of Ice and Fire?  Yes.
  3. Catch-22?  Used it for a paper in high school.
  4. Catcher in the Rye?  Yes, all white boys think they are Holden Caulfield.
  5. The Tipping Point?  Well, yes, I fell for some pop social science and found it a useful cheat for all of the psych and soc classes I didn't take.
  6. Freakonomics?  Sure, again, pop social science FTW!
  7. The Rainmaker?  Yep, Grisham.
  8. Patriot Games?  Yes, I used to buy Clancy, and I am sufficiently embarrassed by how craptastic his stuff became.
  9. Guns, Germs and Steel?  Have I mentioned that I am a sucker for pop social science?
Yep, 9/79.  Hmmm.  I need to get more Raymond Chandler, but no other regrets.  There is something to this list, of course.  Some of this was driven by what the average American was required to read in high school, but perhaps not as much as I expected.

Anyhow, I guess I have to turn in my white man badge...

No comments: