Now people might say, sure, Trump is not a details guy, that he is ignorant about many things, but he is really quite clever. He did win a presidential election! He is a billionaire! He can't be that dim. I will agree that Trump has some talents:
- self-promotion--he has always been good about establishing a brand even if, well, it is toxic
- applause-lines--he figures out what works and hits that applause line again and again.
- hiring arsonists--he has an uncanny instinct to hire people who like to burn down their agencies.
- destruction--he sure has an ability to lay waste. Using nicknames to diminish his opponents, ripping people off, etc.
- Trump has no big achievements despite his party controlling both houses of Congress and with much party discipline (unlike when the Dems have both houses).
- His party got to shove through a wildly unpopular tax cut. Not his idea.
- He got two SCOTUS seats filled because GOP kept an opening and then another one (GOP) retired.
- He rebranded a bunch of things that did not change things much but were costly to negotiate (NAFTA 1.07/USMCA).
- Trump has not expanded his popularity beyond his base. It is always easy to play to one's base--it takes smarts, effort, and strategery to get support beyond it. With the help of Fox and heaps of koolaid, Trump doesn't even have to persuade his base since they buy the lies due to a distorted reality.
- Turmoil in staff might not be a bad sign if it was productive. But what has multiple chiefs of staff, three National Security Advisers.
So, is Trump dumb or is he just clever enough to fool folks? The old SNL skit of Reagan does not apply, I am sorry.