Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Ultimate Survey

A facebook friend had a status today of an old ultimate team questionnaire.  As I recover from Sunday's game (soreness takes longer and longer to go away), I thought I would post my answers because, hey, it is my blog.

  • # of tournaments:  If one combines league-ending tourneys with travel-competition, something around 50. 
  • ACL surgery: no.  Worst ultimate injury is nasty sprained ankle.  Worst frisbee injury is concussion after running into a tree while tossing the disk during orientation when I was an RC (RA in other places) at Oberlin.
  • Ultimate Idol: Probably Jean-Levy Champagne.  So tall, so quick, great skills and athleticism and owner of at least one of the professional ultimate teams. 
  • Kids: 1.  Glad she played ultimate in her teen years and first few years of college.  Understandable that other interests took over, alas.
  • Favourite throw: Inside out flick and outside in flick.  I love throwing the disk with curves.  Least favourite throw to throw or receive--hammer.  Wildly over-used--people forget what a backhand can do. 
  • Ultimate goal: "Keep playing until I'm dead."  This is what my FB friend said, and I wouldn't change it.  It used to be: play until I reach 40.  Then 50.  Now?  60. 
  • Favourite post-ultimate snack: Chocolate milk if I am alone, beer if with my team.
  • O or D?: O     No question about that although laying out to block a pass is the thing that gets me most energized, most excited.  But I am so much better on Offense than Defense, and it has always been thus.

Should there be any other questions on this ultimate questionnaire? Hmmm.
  • Favorite team:  General Admission although I loved learning and playing with the Obie teams (whose names kept on changing)
  • Favorite form of ultimate: I kind of miss five on five on the width of a field with sub on the fly, but that might be conflating form with team (GA).  
  • Silliest form of ultimate played: hex-ultimate--2 on 2 on 2 with two disks on an hexagonal field.  Three teams, two disks, first to score gets the point, with nice collective action problems built into the game.
  • Favorite frisbee memory: laying out backwards to catch Gabe's crappy hammer in the endzone to break the tie and put Oberlin ahead of Ohio State back in 1983 or 1984.
  • Favorite frisbee video?  This one: 


No comments: