Let's review shall we?
- Ferris Bueller and Sloane Peterson could be their parents. [Only if you think they really would have stayed together. And Ferris was too drug addled to be reliable, right?]
- There have always been at least two women on the Supreme Court, and women have always commanded U.S. Navy ships. [Unfortunately, the most visible female "role models" are Palin and Bachmann.]
- As they’ve grown up on websites and cell phones, adult experts have constantly fretted about their alleged deficits of empathy and concentration. [Unlike the impact of the phone, the radio, the tv, etc. Adults worry about technology--nothing new about that]
- Their school’s “blackboards” have always been getting smarter. [Only if their schools have unbelievable funding]
- “Don’t touch that dial!”….what dial?
- More Americans have always traveled to Latin America than to Europe. [Really?]
- Refer to LBJ, and they might assume you're talking about LeBron James. [Just as successful as the original, so no big change, right?]
- All their lives, Whitney Houston has always been declaring “I Will Always Love You.” [Um, all their lives, Whitney has been irrelevant]
- Jim Carrey has always been bigger than a pet detective. [Not lately, what a dated list]
- We have never asked, and they have never had to tell.
- Life has always been like a box of chocolates. [Um, if this list is supposed to get hip to the kids, I gotta wonder if the kids are Gump-aware].
- “Yadda, yadda, yadda” has always come in handy to make long stories short. [Please, Seinfeld did not invent that, been around much longer than that]
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show has always been available on TV. [Does not distinguish these folks much]
- Jimmy Carter has always been a smiling elderly man who shows up on TV to promote fair elections and disaster relief. [So, the line is really post 1984?]
- Dial-up is soooooooooo last century! [Finally a relevant one--internet has always been fast for these folks--now we can generalize about their impatience as if we aren't]
- Women have always been kissing women on television. [The real revolution is this one--that homosexuality is no longer entirely alien. Rather than hating the homosexuals, it is now ok to hate the homophobes. It does get better!]
- Their older siblings have told them about the days when Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera were Mouseketeers. [No, they have probably been told about Spears and Timberlake singing songs about the other].
- The bloody conflict between the government and a religious cult has always made Waco sound a little whacko. [I am sure they are unaware of this one]
- Electric cars have always been humming in relative silence on the road. [Really, we have that many e-cars around?]
- No longer known for just gambling and quickie divorces, Nevada has always been one of the fastest growing states in the Union. [Sure, the kids are aware of demographic change]
- New kids have always been known as NKOTB. [Again, out of date]
- They’ve always wanted to be like Shaq or Kobe: Michael Who? [Actually, they want to be Kevin or Blake]
- They’ve often broken up with their significant others via texting, Facebook, or MySpace.
- It seems the United States has always been looking for an acceptable means of capital execution. [This does not separate these folks from any generation since when?]
- Refugees and prisoners have always been housed by the U.S. government at Guantanamo. [Ah, we find a relevant one]
- “PC” has come to mean Personal Computer, not Political Correctness. [Um, no, both still relevant]
- The New York Times and the Boston Globe have never been rival newspapers. [Newspapers not so relevant]
Either I am really out of touch or the folks who made this list are. You make the call.
Post a Comment