- Best Picture doubles its number of noms from 5 to 10 and still no comedy. Not terribly surprising, but still disappointing. I only saw Avatar, District 9, Hurt Locker, Basterds and Up, and cannot really say much about the others. I guess, given what I have heard, would have preferred Hangover to An Education, not knowing that much about the latter. I also think that Hangover was better than Up, given what I said before. 500 Days of Summer could have gone here as well.
- Best Actor: Very pleased to see Jeremy Renner for Hurt Locker. Perhaps Sharlto Copley of District 9.
- Best Actress: No surprises here. Will need reminders from EW and elsewhere for the snubs here.
- Best Supporting Actor: Tucci probably got it for the wrong role.
- Best Supporting Actress: I liked Mélanie Laurent very much in Basterds. Surprised to see Maggie G here, and surprised that anyone saw Nine to vote for Cruz. Missing Zooey Deschanel for 500 Days of Summer, as she clearly demonstrated how/why someone could be so loveable yet frustrating/neurotic at the same time.
- Best Director: No surprises, but again, D-9 is shortchanged here: Neill Blomkamp.
- I don't know enough about screen-writing to comment (although that has never stopped me before).