Thursday, January 28, 2010

Not a Good Month for Authors [updated]

J.D Salinger died yesterday, which means we now three different distinguished pantheon writers over the past week (Robert B. Parker and Erich Segal).  I never read Love Story by Segal, but read all of Parker's stuff.  I consider Parker my favorite author (replacing Alistair MacLean of Guns of Navarone, Ice Station Zebra and many other WWII and cold war thrillers).  I consider Catcher in the Rye among my very favorite books, and certainly the high school required reading I enjoyed the most.  Like everyone else, I would have liked more stuff by Salinger (one reason why I love Parker and MacLean was the nearly endless supply), but Catcher is the Great American Novel. 

Good thing January is almost over.


Update:  And then Howard Zinn dies.  A different kind of author entirely, but another influential voice silenced.

No comments: