- Dean and Chair of dept announce at the dinner on the eve of spring break that they hired someone that no one else knew about.
- The new prof starts teaching after spring break?
- Tenure is not a zero sum process--two folks going up at the same time in the same department is treated as zero sum
- Parties for tenure?
- Dean decides to give the guy who teaches great but researches badly probationary tenure. Um, that would be tenure track, not tenure.
- Excellent researcher gets fired from Yale after not teaching well the first three years.
- Anthro prof looking for Sasquatch.
Saturday, September 25, 2010
Just finished watching Tenure, a movie with Luke Wilson about an English prof who is striving for tenure. Other than the idea that it is publish (at least a bit) or perish at a third rate liberal arts college, the movie set back the public's understanding of the academic world by about 50%. Just about everything else was wrong: